Tuesday, April 20, 2010

In Michael's words...

In My Own Words

I grew up on a small island called Grenada. The island is located in the West Indies of the Caribbean. Life is not that easy here. I live in a single parent family with my mother. I am the youngest of the three children. My mom is not married. She has a little job in the town of St. George's in the market where she is a vendor on Saturday mornings. We wake up early on Saturday mornings to help her prepare the food that she sells. My job is to collect stale bread on Friday that she uses to make the pudding that she sells. She tries her best to satisfy my family's needs--need of food, shelter and clothing. My father passed away last year in June. He was 69 years old and a retired police Sargent. He never lived with me in my home because he was married to another lady. Even though he wasn't there to support me, I loved him.

My village is called Grand Anse. I grew up in my Grandmother's house with my mother and sisters. I never had my own room growing up and would sleep with my Grandmother. She was sick with Diabetes and I slept with her every night until she died in march 2004. Now my family and I live in my grandmother's house. She helped raise me and I miss her a lot. In September 2004, hurricane Ivan hit my country, I remember that day like it was yesterday. Our house is made out of plywood with a tin roof and not built very well. I can remember during the hurricane that the winds were so strong that they took our roof off. Our house was destroyed and we stayed in a little shack while we rebuilt our home. After the hurricane it was hard to find food and water.

Things around here have gotten a little better since the hurricane. I was able to help my mom fix our house with the help of an uncle. I still help my mom out. When school gets out for holiday, I go and work at the tire shop, "Bobby's." the money I make helps my mom and family out. I love my mother and have always obeyed what she asks me to do. As I started to become an adolescent, I realized I needed to do something different and gain an education so I can support myself, my family and future family. My high school I attend has one of the lowest academic passing rates on the island. But I don't care about those numbers, it is my education and what I put into it that is important. It is my hunger for knowledge that keeps my going. My dream is to go to college and study biology. That is one of my many dreams that I have for myself. I know with hard work I can accomplish my dreams.

2 comments:

  1. Pretty impressive. I can's wait to meet him. I will forward to people I know. Thanks for letting us be a part of Michael.s life. Nettie

    ReplyDelete
  2. TO the Orme family, this is a truly emotional yet amazing story of Michael Bruno since I am a Grenadian myself and have memories of my own . As a child I too knew I wanted to make a difference since no one in my family went to college. I decided to come to the US to futher my studies and now after working odd jobs I am persuing a Bachelor degree in Nursing. It is wonderful that you kept your promise by giving these young men a sense of hope and is able to give back. I wish michael best of luck in Biology and have no doubt in my mind that he will excel. Not having so many things in your life makes you appreciate things more. Michael you make me proud, stay focus, and work hard. As we say in Grenada Michael "aim for the stars". :)

    ReplyDelete